Top 10 Things to Look for in a Drug Treatment Facility
It can seem like a big task to find just the right drug treatment facility for yourself or a loved one. With all the different options, it may be hard to choose. Below is a list of things that are important to consider about each facility on your list.
- Types of treatment offered: The possibilities are endless, but take a look at the treatment programs and what they entail. Make sure there are one-on-one counseling sessions, as well as family counseling. Many facilities have begun offering a wide range of programs in various beautiful locations. The most important thing, however, is that your treatment facility offers the basic addiction treatment that you are looking for.
- Drug detox capabilities: For those that are heavily addicted to substances, a detox facility is necessary. These facilities will have experienced physicians on staff to ensure the safety of the patient while withdrawing from drugs or alcohol.
- Cost of treatment: Different facilities will charge different rates. Based on the location of the facility, or the programs offered, there may be some that are more affordable to individuals that have to fit the bill on their own.
- Insurance coverage or payment plan: Many major insurance carriers and employers will cover the cost of drug abuse treatment. It is important to make sure your plan and the facility will work together.
- Success rate: If you are going to select a treatment facility, you want to know that they are able to consistently produce the results you want. Don’t be shy about asking for success rate statistics.
- Credentials: Check the credentials of the facility and the staff to make sure the proper licenses are in place. In general, a facility that is accredited will have fulfilled more requirements than one that has only applied for a basic license.
- After or extended care: Research has shown that individuals are more likely to stay sober after completing a longer treatment program, such as extended care. Effective treatment facilities will have measures in place to continue to help their patients succeed after they complete the basic programs.
- Groups of people treated: Some facilities only treat certain age groups or gender. Check to see if there are any requirements on age, or if there are special programs for certain demographics at your facility of choice.
- Dual diagnosis: A fairly new approach to treating addiction is to also diagnose and treat mental illness that may be occurring. Research has shown that substance abuse and mental illness often go hand in hand; leading many facilities to now treat both conditions together.
- Typical Length of stay: You will want to know how long you can expect to be in rehab, so look at the typical length of stay at your facility. Keep in mind, however, that each patient is different, and it would be better to stay in a facility for a longer period of time and come out sober, than rush through a program unsuccessfully.
This article was written by Jared More
As the Director of Interactive Marketing for American Addiction Centers I am a forward thinking and big picture focused Online Marketing Specialist. Online marketing must be an organizational objective and cannot be compartmentalized into a specific field of pursuit. My objective is to build integrated teams of advertising, technical and marketing professionals that can inspire and influence entire organizations.
Successful online marketing requires a group of talented professionals that truly enjoy and are very good at what they do, working together toward common goals. Often companies have disconnected teams of paid advertisers, technical folks, content development and organic marketers. A team that works together on paid, organic, social and traditional channels that also has the technical ability to make changes on the fly is a team that will quickly generate more exposure and revenue for their company. This cohesive approach allows for exponential growth in the rapidly changing digital space.
I currently have the pleasure of working exclusively for American Addiction Centers, a rapidly growing leader in the addiction treatment space. American Addiction Centers has a fast paced, challenging and innovative marketing team that is an exciting place to be a part of.